Under the southwestern “hook” of Vermont, where the Taconic Mountains give way to the historic Champlain Valley, lies the picturesque town of Fair Haven…the Slate Center of the Nation…and Vermont’s Western Gateway….
Chartered and first settled in 1779, Fair Haven first prospered as a mill town, with numerous works developed on the falls of the Castleton River by Col. Matthew Lyon. In the mid-1800’s, the first slate quarries were opened, marking the beginning of an industry that has continued to thrive until the present day.
Twenty-first century Fair Haven is a charming village, featuring a large central green just north of the downtown business district, surrounded by some of the finest examples of Victorian architecture in the state. The green is home to many events throughout the year, including Spring Fling, a summer concert series, and annual AppleFest. The business district features many quaint shops and eateries, within walking distance of most of the community. The townspeople are friendly…the schools and public services are first rate…and the opportunities here are limited only by one’s creativity and imagination.
On your next visit to Vermont, stop by Fair Haven…and spend the day…or a lifetime…
- NOTICE: The State of Vermont Department of Drinking Water and Ground Water Protection Division has lifted the boil water order issued to the Town of Fair Haven on Tuesday, August 19, 2014. Herb Durfee, Town Manager, received word late this afternoon from the State that all subsequent samples tested negative for E. coli. Water no longer needs to be boiled before consumption. The Town would like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding during this time. If you have any questions regarding this notice, please call the Town Office at 265-3010, x 1 or 5.
- Drinking Water Warning: Boil Water Notice
- Cracker Barrel Discussion with the Town Manager!
- Park and Recreation Fields Ordinance ADOPTED 4 Aug. 2014
- Primary Election Warning and Ballots for August 26, 2014
- Free Paint Only Drop-Off Event
- The Town of Fair Haven has a vacancy on the Planning Commission. If you or someone you know is interested in serving on this committee, please call the Town Office at 265-3010, x 1. Thank you.
- THANK YOU to everyone who took time out of your busy schedules to vote. Your community support is appreciated.
- Don’t forget, informational meeting on Monday and voting on Tuesday! See the post directly below for more information.
- Reminder: Monday, July 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM in the Grade School Gymnasium is a public informational meeting regarding the upcoming budget vote. All are urged to attend. Voting on the budget will be Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at the American Legion Post #49 from 10:00 AM until 7:00 PM. If you would like to vote early, please contact Suzanne Dechame, Town Clerk, at 265-3610.
- The Energy Committee will be meeting tonight at 8:00 PM in the small conference room (used to be Probate) in the Fair Haven Municipal Building.
SPECIAL TOWN MEETING: FISCAL YEAR 2014-2015 SELECTBOARD BUDGET
The legal voters of the Town of Fair Haven, the County of Rutland, State of Vermont, are hereby warned to meet at the Fair Haven Grade School, in said Town on Monday, July 14, 2014 at 7:00 P.M. for discussion of Articles 1 and 2 and, on Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 10:00 A.M. at the Fair Haven Post 49 Legion Building, to vote by Australian Ballot on Article 1.
ARTICLE 1 Shall the voters of Fair Haven vote to approve the Selectboard’s fiscal year 2014-15 budget of $1,861,421, of which $1,418,674 shall be raised by taxes and $442,747 by anticipated non-tax revenues?
ARTICLE 2 To transact any other business properly to be done at the Special Town Meeting.
The polling place for receiving Australian ballots under Article 1 will be open at 10:00 A.M. and remain open until 7:00 P.M. at the Fair Haven Post 49 Legion Building.
Approved by the Selectboard this 11th day of June, 2014.
For voting information or to have an early/absentee ballot sent to you, please contact Suzanne Dechame, Fair Haven Town Clerk, at 802-265-3610.
FOR BUDGET FIGURES, click on “Boards/Commissions” above. Then, go to “Financial Information” under the “Selectboard” option.
- NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARINGPARK ORDINANCE AMENDMENT TO INCLUDE THE TOWN’S RECREATION FIELDSThe Fair Haven Selectboard is holding a public hearing on Monday, July 21, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. in the Town Offices at 3 North Park Place, Fair Haven, VT to solicit public comment related to amending the Town’s Park Ordinance.The amendments would add consideration for the Town’s Recreation Fields behind the Graded School. With passage, the ordinance’s new title would read, “Park & Recreation Fields Ordinance.” The ordinance would be generally revised throughout including the sections on authority, purpose, definitions, conditions and limitations, enforcement, and penalties.The text of the ordinance amendments may be reviewed at the Town Offices, 3 North Park Place, Fair Haven, VT, during regular business hours or on the Town webpage at www.fairhavenvt.org. Questions/comments may be directed to Herb Durfee, Town Manager (802-265-3010 x5 or firstname.lastname@example.org).BY:Fair Haven Selectboard
- Park and Rec Field Ordinance DRAFT
- 2013 Consumer Confidence Report
- 2014 Annual Meeting Minutes
- 2014 Town Meeting Vote Results
- Energy Committee Minutes 02-18-2014
- 2013 Annual Report
- Annual Town Meeting Warning
- 2013 Town Meeting Results